By John Scholl
This recipe was inspired by the winner of our Top 10 Wings Not On A Top 10 List, Great Seas Chinese Restaurant. The recipe is adapted for the grill, so no need to break out the lard for frying!
The Set Up
3lbs chicken wings, separated into flats and drumettes (tips discarded)
5 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 inch fresh ginger root, finely grated
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoon Sriracha
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Thinly slice green onions
1. Pat wings dry then salt and pepper.
2. Light the grill and preheat to medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grate.
3. While grill is preheating,combine water, sugar, soy in saucepot, and heat until sugar is dissolved.
4. Add rice vinegar, oil, honey, ginger, Sriracha, and garlic; simmer for 8 minutes.
5. Slowly stir in corn starch until thickened. Remove sauce from heat.
6. On the grill, cook wings for 5-7 minutes per side, until they are cooked through and skin is crisp.
7. Remove and rest wings, then toss with sauce. Top with sliced green onion and sesame seeds.