By Gerry McLoughlin
Straight from our Chicago South Side Chapter, this recipe was described as one of the best steak sandwiches ever. EVER.
16oz tenderloin steak (4 each 4oz portions)cut into strips about 6 inches long x 1 wide.
1 English cucumber, sliced thin, for pickling
2 Jalapenos, finely sliced, for pickling
1 med Red Onion finely sliced, for pickling
4 each Torta rolls (split in half)
Marinade for steak
6oz olive oil
1oz fresh cilantro (chopped)
1oz fresh parsley (chopped)
½oz chopped garlic.
Juice of 1 lime
Seasoning for steak
1 tablespoon dried chipotle power
1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon onion power
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 cup rice vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1. Mix all the ingredients for the pickling liquid in a pot and bring to a boil, remove and pour over the red onions and the cucumber & Jalapenos, cover and let cool, hold in the refrigerator overnight or until ready to use.
1. Mix the ingredients for steak seasoning (hold for used)
2. Rub the steaks with the seasoning mix and place in dish
3. Mix the marinade and pour over the steaks (cover refrigerate overnight)
4. Place the steak on a hot grill and cook until they are 145 degrees (about 12 minutes)
5. Toast the bread on the grill.
6. Layer the jalapeno cucumber on the bottom of the bread.
7. Add the steak and top with pickled onions; put the top half of the roll on top.