Makes 2 portions (video below)
3 cups water
2 inches ginger, peeled
1 tablespoon oil
4 green onions, 2 chopped, 2 sliced
1 1/2 pounds pork belly, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
1 cinnamon stick
2 pods star anise
1. Boil 3 cups water in wok, cut ginger in half lengthwise, add half the ginger and 1 sliced green onion. Add belly and cook for 4 minutes, remove and set aside. Drain wok.
2. Thinly slice the other half of the ginger and heat oil in wok to medium heat. Cook ginger for 30 seconds, then brown the pork belly, tossing often, for 3 minutes.
3. Add sugar, soy, and wine over meat and heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add 2 1/2 cups of water, cinnamon stick, one sliced onion, and star anise. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Uncover, remove cinnamon stick, star anise, sliced onion, and any large chunks of ginger. Increase heat to high to reduce liquid to 3 tablespoons, stirring frequently. This will take around 30 minutes.
6. Garnish with green onion. Serve in a bowl or on a steamed bun.
Beer Pairing: Chinese Lager